When was the last time you sat down with no technology in front of you? It’s hard I know, especially given the field we’re all in. My husband and I noticed that we rarely had an evening without some form of technology in front of us. So, we’re changing that. We’re starting by spending one night a week together with no TV, computers or cell phones. So what are we doing instead….
- Go for walks – I don’t know, because it’s nice to get fresh air and move.
- Play Battleship – Why Battleship? It’s a two player game and it was on sale the day we decided to start our no technology nights. For the record, I win more often than him! The point is there are fun things to do that are completely technology free.
- Talk to each other – It’s a novel idea, I know. Actually talking to your spouse or close friend without technology in front of you. Anyway these have become some of my favorite conversations with him. This is where I learn the real stuff, the stuff that makes our relationship great and the stuff that keeps me going when work is crazy.
- Read Together – We rarely read the same books but we often sit on our patio with our cats and read together.
- Enjoy the silence – Our lives are so noisy these days, even right now with no TV or music on I can hear the sounds from the street below, voices from a few cubes down and the buzz of florescent lights. Shutting some of that noise off to be in a quiet space is relaxing. I find so much peace and relaxation in just reducing the amount of noise around me.
Anyway, in the past few months we’ve found the world survives without us for a few hours a week and what’s better, we survive without the world. I debated about posting this but when I thought of the benefit I’ve felt from having a few (2-3) hours a week of controlled purposeful technology free space is huge. I’ve felt more energized and creative when I am in front of a screen. Just wanted to share!